The congregation was organized in 1884. Prior to that time, a group of Norwegian Lutherans in the Boston area were served periodically by pastors from New York City and Portland. The first Church building was constructed in 1889 in Roxbury, where the congregation was known as the Boston Norwegian Lutheran Church. In 1936, the Roxbury church building was sold and the congregation relocated to Cambridge under the name Harvard Street Lutheran Church. In 1976, the congregation relocated again to the present building. When the building was dedicated, the congregation became known as Pinewood Lutheran Church.
The historic church bell is rung every Sunday. Henry Hooper, an apprentice of Paul Revere, cast it in 1846. The church has named the bell “Moses.”